Scenes from the first day in Sydney

Scenes from the first day in Sydney
D, the Opera House, and the Bridge

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Day Three of Retreat

Believe it or not, in the Southern hemisphere we're coming to the brink of Spring! I know that by now this should probably not make such an impression on me, but it does. And even though it doesn't begin officially until the start of September, the wildflowers are blossoming all over the place. I took these pictures while hiking today in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park, a gorgeous area 20 minutes north of Pymble, our tertianship HQ. For me, this season reminder of new life evokes the transition I'm in these days, facing toward the future and a new job, but rooted in where I've been and who I've been with.



The Akuna Bay Marina, hidden away in the safety of the park... not a ripple of wind disturbing the mirrorlike surface of the water, reflecting everything above it. A perfect spot for a quiet afternoon cup of tea, or a "cuppa" as they say downunder.



The bare rock on the Waratah track... like a grey lizard skin, or the foundation stones of a building.

And wherever I go, my shadow comes along. Though there are days I need eyes on the back of my head so that I can see the way that the shadow is influencing my thoughts, feelings, and actions. Today, I was mindful of my shadow in the sense that as we are bringing this experience to a close, there are temptations to disengage and move my attention and energy into the future-- not to be fully present to the discomfort and sadness of goodbyes, or all that I will miss here in Australia.


And then the sunsets... each moment more colorful and lovely than the last. Beauty beyond my ability to capture... and maybe that's the point. We began saying farewell tonight with a candle light prayer service- tomorrow Dan will be the first to head back home and to new responsibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment