Scenes from the first day in Sydney

Scenes from the first day in Sydney
D, the Opera House, and the Bridge

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Tuesday, May 5th

This was the second full day of meeting with retreatants... six in one day! It might not seem like much, but six hours of careful listening is actually pretty demanding. At the same time, it is just amazing to be present and witness to the unfolding of a human life as people tell their stories. It brings home to me that sense that every person's life is a mysterious unfolding, marked by losses and gains, joys and sorrows, mundane routines and profound longings and aspirations. It is also a lesson to me never to judge on first appearances, because the moment you think you've assessed who a person is, you've sold them short of all the ways they can surprise you, maybe even teach you something new.

Obviously I can't discuss things that people share with me in the context of spiritual direction, so I find that I carry people's stories with me as sort of a sacred trust, and I can't help but feel both humbled and enriched by the vulnerability that people manifest process. Sometimes, folks express a bit of discomfort when strong emotions come up, especially tears. But I cannot help thinking that if we were all a bit more free and vulnerable, the world would be a much more peaceful and compassionate place. Doesn't it seem a little crazy that most of us go through our day wearing our "game face," without giving our hearts the freedom to express feelings, regrets, gratitude, etc. For whatever reason, we allow the people and the environments around us to determine the way we show up instead of trusting the authenticity of being ourselves, (and of taking up the true authority that comes from being authentic). Again, what a revolution it is to live and work with people who have the freedom to be themselves.

Tomorrow is my day off, so after seeing just one person, I'm looking forward to "chillaxing" (a Brooklyn expression, if I'm not mistaken)-- walking , reading, seeing a movie. Cheers!

1 comment: