Scenes from the first day in Sydney

Scenes from the first day in Sydney
D, the Opera House, and the Bridge

Monday, January 19, 2009

Day One Down-Under!

This being my first blog posting and all, I feel a certain performance anxiety about setting the right tone to hook you just so... so what? Well, so that you might be tempted to check back once in a while, maybe to comment yourself, maybe to add a thing or two about what's important to you.

For starters, I am a 40 year old Jesuit priest from Upstate New York, and I am spending from late January thru early September of 2009 in Australia, completing that last formal stage of my Jesuit training. This will include living in community and studying with other Jesuits from around the world, doing several months of pastoral work/service, and making a month long silent retreat.

My intention is to use this blog a medium to post reflections on my experiences, to offer commentary on scripture readings, and to offer a conversation space for things I am passionately interested in... the emerging Christian community, adult development, transformative learning, transformational leadership, the Integral movement, etc. But I'll need more than a little help to keep this relevant, entertaining, and worthwhile.

As I just landed this morning and am limping along with just a few hours of sleep in the last few days, maybe I will leave things where they are, in their very rough and unfinished state...

4 comments:

  1. "...very rough and unfinished state". Ahhhh, some true charateristics of a work of God in progress. David, I look forward to sharing in your spiritual journey if only from "afar". -L

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my Brother David, in Sydney Australia is where art thou! Yes, I've finally added myself to your list of blog's (cyber) followers. Great to see your pictures and to hear about you getting adjusted to your new surroundings. I love you and will be in touch soon kid

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, Melissa! Saw your profile-- Great! Talk to you when I get back. Til then, much love, David

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you made it. I'm all ears for your journey and adventure in Australia! Hello to Melissa too!

    ReplyDelete